Alla Prima Still Life - Supply List
We will be working in oils, The brand doesn’t matter, so long as they are not water mixable. I like Gamblin for a high quality, inexpensive brand that is very pliable.
Bring whatever colors you prefer working with.
A basic palette might include:
- Titanium White (Lefranc & Bourgeois)
- Cadmium Yellow
- Indian Yellow
- Cadmium Red
- Transparent Oxide Red or Brown
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ivory Black
- Cobalt Blue Light
- Ultramarine Blue Deep
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED COLORS
- Cadmium Yellow Deep
- Cadmium Lemon
- Phthalo Blue Deep
One sheet per day, each approximately 9x12" or 11x14" of oil primed linen.
Artist and Craftsman Supply, in Madison, sells oil primed linen by the sheet. There will also be some available for sale at the studio during the class. Boards and tape/staples will be provided to adhere linen to support.
For brushes Taya recommends:
- Langnickel Royal Sable flats # 2, 4, 8
- For example: #L5590
- Alternately: Rosemary & Co.
- Watercolor small soft brush for details
- Any still life objects that you want to paint
- Paper towels (Viva)
- Palette knife (2” trowel shaped)
- Odorless mineral spirits (e.g., Gamsol)
- Container for Gamsol - they sell metal containers for this, but a glass jar or coffee can would work just fine
- Hat, visor, or baseball cap (optional)
- Apron, or clothes that you don't mind getting paint on